Thursday, September 13, 2007

Jars of (Kid) Wisdom

You have probably seen them on store shelves and in catalogues: Those cutesy ceramic jars with a cork top where people stash their loose change. Some say things like “Beach House Fund” or “Mad Money.” They even make them for men with things like “Dad’s Ferrari Fund” or “Green Fees.” Well I’ll tell you right now that “cutesy” is never a term that I’ve been saddled with. Me, I’m sarcastic. Dry, even. My sense of humor comes from a different place, but not a bad one…

I’ll get back to the jar thing in a minute, because I do have a point. Please bear with me…

Two nights ago was the culmination of a way-too-drawn-out relationship for me. I know I’m better off, but that realization didn’t come before a lot of tears and one nasty migraine to boot. Hard as I tried, I couldn’t hide my tears or frustration from my son. Finally I just told him that me and the boyfriend were no longer and that I was a little (OK, a lot) sad about it.

My son’s take on the whole deal:

“Mom, you know that jar you have?”
“Yeah?”
“Well that’s what he is.”

I couldn’t stop laughing...

My jar says, “Pains in the Ass.”

No comments: