Monday, January 28, 2008
Sunday morning, before the sun had even come up, I felt the presence of my son and the dog in my bedroom. He was watching cartoons and talking to the dog as I dozed in and out of consciousness. At one point I remember thinking there was an awfully cold spot in the bed near my knee. Oh, never mind. I turned over and snuggled with the pillows some more... There it is again, that coldness. Something making a noise like crinkling plastic... Finally I sat up to investigate. I peeled back the covers, then called to my son...
"Uh... why is there broccoli in my bed?"
"Because my leg hurt."
"Because my leg hurt."
"And you thought broccoli would fix it?"
"No. I was using it for an ice pack."
You can't make this stuff up.
Friday, January 25, 2008
So I said yes, but reluctantly. The room that is now his used to be the spare bedroom downstairs, and in its closet are mostly things that belonged to his father. Things that I cannot seem to get rid of for one reason or another. Things that I will never get rid of because they are so much a part of him. Last night, a flood of memories (and questions from my son) came back to me.
What's this? He would ask...
His walking stick from Mt. Fuji...
Is this from when he was in the Army? He wanted to know.
Yes, it's his backpack.
Cool! He would say...
Then, the kicker: My wedding dress, still in its pink garment bag. He wanted to know if he could look at it. I said sure. It really is a pretty dress: Ivory colored, simple beading at the top, layers of chiffon... My son said he thought it was beautiful. He also said he thinks I am beautiful. Then he said he couldn't wait for his future wife to wear my dress.
I love my kid.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
1. Air Guitar. Don’t do it. You look like a dork.
2. Hypocrites in any shape, form or fashion.
3. Rude people. I don’t care if you are the King of the World or the gal serving me my fries in the drive-thru. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
4. Women who are obviously bottle blondes who still blame their stupidity on being blonde, as in: “Oh, no! I’m having a blonde moment!” No you aren’t. You are just doing something dumb. Period.
5. The smell of syrup. It is for this reason alone that I do not eat pancakes.
6. Open cabinets/drawers. Say it with me: “Open. Close. Open. Close.” Thank you.
7. Phone people. Especially you blue-toothers.
8. Rude smokers. (I smoke, by the way). If you are within a couple of feet of the receptacle provided, put your ashes and butts IN it, not just somewhere in the vicinity. You make the rest of us look worse.
9. Spearmint gum. (Stinks!)
10. Adults who want to talk to me about my child through my child, as in, “You need to tell your mommy to sign your permission slip.” Uh, no, he does not need to tell his mommy, his mommy is standing right here. YOU tell his mommy, then his mommy will happily sign the permission slip. Have a nice day.
P.S. I reserve the right to amend the above without notice.
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Happy New Year, everybody!